HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Michigan Tech women's tennis team closed their spring break trip to Hilton Head, South Carolina on Thursday, falling to Palm Beach Atlantic University 5-4. The Huskies went 4-1 on the trip with wins over Salem International, Catawba, Davis & Elkins, and Chowan.
Michigan Tech (10-9) split the singles portion of the match 3-3 with Palm Beach Atlantic (4-5), but the Sailfish took two out of three doubles contests to secure the match victory. Kwang Suthijindawong notched another singles win to tie the Tech school record for most career singles victories (66). Suthijindawong defeated Valerie Nagovitcina 1-6, 6-2, and 10-8 for the come from behind win.
Paola Quintana picked up a point for the Huskies with a 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 10-8 decision against Leoni Polzin while Natalia Parra Alvarez slipped past Maja Jovic 6-0, 6-7 (3-7), 10-8 for the other Tech point in singles competition. Allenca Rolim teamed up with Vicky Quinde to top Taylor Conti and Maja Jovic 8-4 for the lone Tech victory in the doubles completion.
The full official results of Thursday's contest are below.
Palm Beach Atl. 5, Michigan Tech 4
Mar 09, 2017 at Hilton Head, S.C. (Chaplin Park Tennis Center)
1. Kwang Suthijindawong (MT) def. Valerie Nagovitcina (PBAW) 1-6, 6-2, 10-8
2. Paola Quintana (MT) def. Leoni Polzin (PBAW) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 10-8
3. Taylor Conti (PBAW) def. Sandra Cvetanovic (MT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Romina Bolagay (PBAW) def. Vicky Quinde (MT) 0-6, 6-4, 10-6
5. Natalia Parra Alvarez (MT) def. Maja Jovic (PBAW) 6-0, 6-7 (3-7), 10-8
6. Michaela Mignemi (PBAW) def. Anabella Neri (MT) 6-2, 6-0
1. Valerie Nagovitcina/Leoni Polzin (PBAW) def. Suthijindawong/Cvetanovic (MT) 8-6
2. Allenca Rolim/Quinde (MT) def. Taylor Conti/Maja Jovic (PBAW) 8-4
3. Romina Bolagay/Michaela Mignemi (PBAW) def. Quintana/Anabella Neri (MT) 8-6