DETROIT, Mich. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team opened the final weekend of the season on Friday at Wayne State University. The Huskies fell to the Warriors 9-0 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference contest.
Mario Neto and Ricardo Paes battled Mats Westkamp and Taylor Vane of Wayne State (7-10, 4-3 GLIAC) in the No. 1 and No. 3 singles spots respectively on Friday. Neto was able to stay close to Westkamp early in the second set, but fell 6-0, 6-2. Paes notched points for Michigan Tech (1-11, 0-8 GLIAC) in each of his sets, but Vane proved to be too much as he pulled away for the 6-1, 6-1 victory.
The Warriors built momentum in the doubles portion of the match with three points on 8-2, 8-1, and 8-2 victories. Wayne State never looked back the rest of the way.
The Huskies will wrap up the season on Saturday in another GLIAC contest at Northwood University. The first serve is slated for 10 a.m.
The complete results can be viewed below.
Wayne State 9, Michigan Tech 0
Apr 14, 2017 at Detroit, Mich.
1. Mats Westkamp (WSU) def. Mario Neto (MTM) 6-0, 6-2
2. Clement Charriere (WSU) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Taylor Vane (WSU) def. Ricardo Paes (MTM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Griffin Mertz (WSU) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ryan Carlson (WSU) def. Tayler Bethke (MTM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nicholas Ang (WSU) def. Jacob Prochnow (MTM) 6-0, 6-0
Michigan Tech 1-11, 0-8 GLIAC
Wayne State 7-10, 4-3 GLIAC