FINDLAY, Ohio – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team fell on the road to the University of Findlay in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play 8-1 on Friday afternoon. The Huskies notched an early point in the doubles portion of the match and continued to compete hard for the rest of the match.
Illiya Chibirev teamed up with Tayler Bethke to give Michigan Tech (1-6, 0-3 GLIAC) the point in one of three doubles contests. They edged Trevor Majdalani and Brad Strawser of Findlay (7-7, 1-2 GLIAC) 8-6 for what would be the only Tech point. Nicholas Kopylec and Ivaylo Slavov along with Oriol Ferrer and Carlos Blanco notched the other two doubles points for the Oilers.
Chibirev had a solid singles contest against Majdalani, but ended up falling just short by the scores of 6-2 and 7-5. Bethke nearly recorded a singles win to go along with his double victory in a battle with Ivaylo Slavov. Slavov ended up holding on in both sets 6-4 and 6-4 to get the point for the Oilers. Nicholas Kopylec, Oriol Ferrer, Carlos Blanco, and Sherwin Miranda had the other singles points for Findlay.
The Huskies will look to bounce back on Saturday morning when they travel to Hillsdale for a GLIAC match beginning at 10 a.m.
1. Oriol Ferrer (UFM) def. Mario Neto (MTM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Carlos Blanco (UFM) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Nicholas Kopylec (UFM) def. Ricardo Paes (MTM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Trevor Majdalani (UFM) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTM) 6-2, 7-5
5. Ivaylo Slavov (UFM) def. Tayler Bethke (MTM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Sherwin Miranda (UFM) def. Jacob Prochnow (MTM) 6-3, 6-1
Michigan Tech 1-6, 0-3
Findlay 7-7, 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,1,6,5)