HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team lost a non-conference match on day three of the spring break trip 9-0 against Catawba College in Hilton Head, S.C. on Tuesday. The Huskies first serve of the 2017 season took place on Saturday against Salem International.
Mario Neto had one of Michigan Tech's (1-2) best performances of the day in No. 1 singles and doubles competition. Neto nearly slipped past Michael Patch by rallying from a 6-1 loss in game one for a 6-0 victory in the second set. Unfortunately, Patch claimed a 10-3 victory in set three to take the point for Catawba. In doubles competition, Neto teamed up with Juan Felipe Chica to challenge Patch and Luca Picci. The Tech duo fell just short 8-5 as Patch and Picci were able to secure the point for Catawba.
The full results from Tuesday's match are below.
Catawba College 9, Michigan Tech 0
Mar 07, 2017 at Hilton Head, S.C.
1. Michael Patch (CATM) def. Mario Neto (MTM) 6-1, 0-6, 10-3
2. Luca Picci (CATM) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lucas Miller (CATM) def. Ricardo Paes (MTM) 6-4, 1-0, retired
4. Ryen Reid (CATM) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTM) 6-3, 6-0
5. Cason Hiers (CATM) def. Tayler Bethke (MTM) 8-0
6. Adam Rocko (CATM) def. Jacob Prochnow (MTM) 8-1